Information on taking part and Garden Listing Rules
Please email your running total to us at: email@example.com. We will be adding extra garden bits such as full sighting lists, daily lists, best bird of the day, comments and garden photographs etc to this page as we get sent them, please scroll down for the latest additions. Don’t worry if some have much better garden lists than yours – the main aim is to push your own list, hopefully see some interesting birds you wouldn’t have otherwise seen, and enjoy your garden birding this spring. Not everyone lives in their own ‘private nature reserve’, but with effort and luck who knows what you may see? We will also be compiling a Joint Cornwall Lockdown Garden List.
Garden listing ‘rules’: Essentially all birds seen or heard, in or from your garden.
- All birds to be seen by the named observer only, in or from the garden (or house) – however distant.
- Birds can be seen or heard. This includes flyovers (over the property or however distant).
- Birds seen on the property or in the air space above count if you are not actually on the property yourself (such records tend to be rare).
- Birds that you would have seen if you were there … but weren’t. These don’t count (Run to get inside the property boundaries if you have to if you see a distant Red Kite whilst returning from the shops).
- Live wild birds only please (exotics, dead birds and sound-recorded only don’t count (although they can be interesting as a side note)).
- Starting from the beginning of the second UK Lockdown, 5th November 2020
- Feral Pigeon counts as a species